We can provide counselling for you and your partner or for you on your own. You do not have to be married or civil partnered to use our services. We can help if you are having difficulties and want to work them out, if you want to separate, or even if your relationship has ended.
When you phone us (01302 347866), the first appointment we will offer is a consultation (see below), usually within 5 - 10 days. At the end of the consultation, which lasts up to an hour, you will be able to decide if you want to have regular weekly counselling sessions.
Counselling is a private and confidential form of help. This means that we will not give your name or any information about you to anyone outside Relate unless someone’s personal safety is at risk.
Other languages we can deliver couples counselling in: Spanish, Italian, and French.
• This session is an initial assessment and not a counselling
session but you might find aspects of it helpful in the same
way as counselling. It does not commit you to further
• You will be seen by a trained Relate Counsellor who will ask some questions about you and any partner. This session will normally take between 50 minutes.
• The counsellor you see today is not necessarily the counsellor you will see if you decide to take up counselling.
• This initial session is an opportunity for you to explain why you have come to Relate and what you want to get out of the counselling. The counsellor will explain what counselling involves and answer any questions you might have.
• If at the end of this assessment it is agreed that Relate counselling or therapy may be helpful it is then for you to decide whether you would like to undertake ongoing counselling with us. If so the counsellor will explain the next steps.
• If your counsellor doesn't think we are best placed to help you, they may suggest another organisation or other services that would be available to you.
• If you decide to continue with counselling we will ask you for details of when you are available to attend ongoing counselling. The more flexible you are the quicker you will be seen. If you can come during the day you will be seen much quicker. Remember to update us if your position changes.
• Your Counsellor will discuss with you the cost implications of ongoing counselling.
• You might decide to attend with your partner or alone. If you come together you can expect separate sessions at some stage in the process.
• We will put you on our waiting list and will contact you when an appointment becomes available.